Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I have to visit the vet yet again!


I had to go back to the vet again last Wednesday because Daddy noticed a lump growing on my back left leg and he had never noticed this lump before and he would know since he gives me a body rub every night. So Uncle Kevin popped me in my cat carrier on Wednesday morning (since Daddy had to work) and took me to that doctor I saw only a week before, and the doctor took out some electric clippers and shaved over the lump, and then he took a needle and did what he called a "needle biopsy" which meant he stuck a hollow needle into the lump two or three times with a digging motion and tried to catch some of the cells inside the needle; but to my great surprise it didn't hurt at all and I didn't make any fuss. And the doctor said that it's not unusual for older cats to get lumps, and some lumps grow very fast (like this one did!), but it's important to find out what kind of lump it is since some lumps can be very bad if left untreated; but other kinds of lumps can be left untouched. And now I have shame on my side in addition to the shame on my neck, so now I look like this!


And the doctor phoned on Friday with the results and said that the needle biopsy showed "spindle cells" which are cells that can show up in "fatty tumors" which are a kind of tumor that is bad if it's not removed. But the needle biopsy was also inconclusive, so I have to go back to the vet again tomorrow (Wednesday) for a different kind of biopsy where they will give me some anesthesia and then cut a small portion of the tumor out so they can examine it. And then, if it ends up being a bad kind of tumor, I'll have to go back to the vet one more time for surgery. So Daddy is being very strict with me tonight and not allowing me to eat anything after 8.00 pm because I'm not allowed to have a full stomach when they give me anesthesia.

And Daddy and Uncle Kevin are naturally very worried about me, but I keep telling them not to worry about me at all, because I don't feel sick, and I have a healthy appetite and lots of energy and I'm not in any pain, so there's no reason for them to upset themselves about what the doctor might find. As for me, I stick my to daily routine of looking at the birds through the window:

and licking myself in the sun at the top of the stairs:


and examining all the orchids that Uncle Kevin brought inside the house last night:

but I was a VERY good kitty and didn't bother the plants at all. So as a reward I get to sit on the Kevin pillow on the night before my biopsy:

4 comments:

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We are purring that you are fine. You were very good not bothering the orchids. ~AFSS

Kea said...

Aw, Oscar, you're such a good mancat. We're purring hard and sending universal healing Light that you will be fine, no surgery required. Good luck!!!!!

Teddy Westlife said...

Oh noes. I hope it's nothing. Don't forget to tell us the results!

Also, those plants look SO tasty! I don't know how you can not touch them.

Sasha said...

Oscar I hope everything goes okay with the tests.